There are some updates troubleshooting some issues people had while implementing some of the actions in this post within the comments.
Google+ is here to stay, the launch of Google’s “Search+ your World” feature now means it is critical to make sure that as a marketer you are using Google+ to share your and other people’s content and grow your network with their service.
If you haven’t already started to use Google’s new social media service then below is a link to video from Rand Fishkin, the founder of SEOMoz, who explains the importance of utilising Google+ quite eloquently:
I’m sure if you are anything like me being active on yet another Social Media platform is something you just don’t have a lot of time to do. So this blog post is just to show you a few quick tools you can use to update your other Social Media services notably Twitter, Facebook and WordPress from your Google+ account.
Using IFTTT and RSS Feeds
IFTTT, If This Then That, is a great tool to automate your life on the internet. I mentioned it in my previous Social Media automation blog post and more features are being added every single day to the service. By reusing some of the recipes I have created you can easily post to your all your social media accounts from Google+.
The first recipe to use is Google Plus RSS Feed to Twitter this allows you to automatically post to your Twitter account when your Google Plus is updated. There maybe a slight delay between the two as Google are still only allowing developers to use RSS and haven’t released an API for developers yet. Simply authorise IFTTT to post to your Twitter account and follow the simple instructions.
The next recipe you need to setup is Google Plus to Facebook this does a very similar thing to the Twitter recipe above, simply authorise IFTTT to post to your Facebook wall and add your Google Plus RSS Feed too.
Using an Email from Google+ to Update a WordPress Blog
OK this is slightly more technical than just using IFTTT but if you can setup a POP3 email account then you should be able to do this.
- Firstly you want to create a unique email address, something like [email protected] it needs to be an email address no one will be able to guess. I don’t recommend using a free service such as Gmail or Yahoo.
- Now login to WordPress and scroll down to your Settings > Writing and fill in the name of the mail server and port number your web hosting provider uses.
- Next, enter the login name and password for your new e-mail account and select the default category that your Google Plus emails will be posted to.
- Now you need to add the following HTML into your WordPress theme footer:
<iframe src="http://yourblogdomain/wordpressinstalldir/wp-mail.php" name="mailiframe" width="0" height="0" frameborder="0" scrolling="no" title=""></iframe>
- Finally go to Google+ and create a new Circle. You can call it blog, WordPress, or whatever you want. Go to add the email address that you just created and tied to your blog, to the new circle.
- Now when ever you want to share a Google+ post on your blog, just add your new “blog” circle to the list of users you are sharing with. Make sure that “Also email 1 person not yet using Google+” is checked, and hit Share.
If you get stuck with syncing your email to your blog follow these more detailed instructions by WordPress
There’s an App for That
Finally, if you are out and about and want to post to Facebook, Twitter and Google Plus simultaneously there is an iPhone app that will allow you to do so. iStatus+ is a great little app that any social media junkie would be happy to have in their toolkit. It’s as simple as adding all your account information into the app and off you go. For a bargain basement price of 69p ($0.99) then you can’t go wrong.
I hope that’s helped you keep on top of updating all of your social media profiles, please leave your comments below if you have any more great tips.