2012 was the year that it became clearer than ever that a lot of SEO blogs were just serving up Shit sandwiches:
- Speculation – SEO’s making predictions on what factors were in the Matt Cutts “over optimisation penalty” and then giving crap advice about the steps to recovery from the big bad Penguin with out any proof or evidence.
- FUD – Blog Networks Deindexed, Anchor Text devalued, I’m sure SEO was killed off at least 47 times last year. Can’t anyone properly dispatch of this lame horse?
- Unlikely Pairings – What your Mom taught me about
Reach aroundsOutreach – Michael Kovis did a great job of analysing this trend so I’ll let you read his blog.
I’ve been annoyed by this trend of crappy posts for a while now and do you know what I call this stuff “idearrhoea“. The worst cases of idearrhoea usually occur when you’re struggling to meet your ludicrous posting schedule and will toss up another 500 word post in the hope that you’ll appease the Google gods.
How do you know you’ve got idearrhoea? It’s just like farting, if you have to try too hard it’s probably shit…
Time to Change
So a couple of months ago after a few rum and cokes I took myself over to Twitter to vent my frustrations. I’m not sure which post it was that made me snap but it was probably a day ending in y, as clearly someone had tossed another crap post into the echo chamber. The SEO sea lions had clapped their flippers and barked their false platitudes…
“Great Content… arf arf!”
Niche site idea: Shitbound.org submit and upvote the worst blog posts and send hundreds of visitors to write sarcastic comments
— Chris Dyson (@ChrisLDyson) October 30, 2012
Less than 24 hours later someone had bought the domain and put the project into development, I need to keep my great ideas to myself in the future because clearly I do have them!
Shitbound’s tagline is “the home for shite that SEOs write” that’s absolute genius. It’s been coming for a while and it’s time for us as a community to call the crap out, and in the words of Jonathon Colman “we can do better than this“.
Don’t get me wrong I’m not saying that every article we write has to be an award winning piece but if you really don’t have something to write about please don’t push out a post just to achieve your twice a week blogging
Writing takes time, and editing even longer, a lot of people don’t give themselves enough time to write their posts and often very few will spend time editing them. So why not ask your peers to review your posts before they go live.
It’s dead easy, just install this WordPress plugin and ask your friends to submit their feedback. If they are true fans they’ll tell you if your post is a big steaming pile and persuade you not to hit publish.
Make a Pledge
But this isn’t a post offering you a free lesson in writing betterer, this is a request for all my followers (hi mum!) and my fellow professional SEO’s to:
- Stop upvoting crap content on Inbound.org
- Stop auto-tweeting every time SEOmoz, SEJ, SEL or SEW hit publish
- Stop blindly re-tweeting everything that the “influencers” plug (aka the SEO Beliebers)
- Sign up to Shitbound.org once it’s open for business
- Call out the crap
- Don’t be afraid to give feedback in the comments or via email
Until then make a new years resolution to cut down on the Shit Sandwiches they’re doing you no good and are making your breath smell a bit.